(early july. number 5.)
This Secret Restaurant was inspired by our very own cultural heritages, which just so happen to be, at their most simplified: German, Polish, English. It was a "wear it loud and proud" honoring of our European immigrant forefathers. And what would a WWII dinner be without Italian and French thrown in there too?
• Vichyssoise- Chilled Potato and Leek Soup
With lots of extra fennel
• Pierogi– 3 [Kale/Kraut, Artichoke/Adele. Buttermilk Mashed Potato/Garlic]
Half circular dumplings of unleavened dough, stuffed with above fillings, boiled then pan fried until golden brown. Adele is a sheep and cow milk cheese made near Portland.
• Rettichsalat– Shaved radish salad w/cider vinegar, walnut oil, chives, and dill.
• Pie– Porcini/Morel Mushroom 'Black Pudding' with grilled 'Game Sausage' and Zucchini. Shortcrust pastry bottom + Bubble & Squeak top.
The creation of this pie was to share and celebrate the flavors of classic English entrees, most of which get a bad rap in the food world, and virtually non of which are commonly made vegetarian.
Pie crust: accented with fresh sage.
Bottom layer: Pseudo "black" or "blood" pudding, created with mushrooms, rye bread crumbs, yellow onions, fresh garlic, red wine, mustard, herbs, and 'game sausage.'
Second layer: Lightly sauteed summer zucchini
Third layer: Morel mushrooms in mushroom gravy
Forth layer: Porcini mushroom slices sauteed in butter
Top crust: "Bubble & Squeak" a cabbage/potato fritter seasoned with sea salt & black pepper.
Topping: Orange and black figs, Neil's Yard raw milk cheddar, and pickled green tomato.
• Mussolini's Trousers– Fresh sardine, roasted elephant garlic cloves, and fresh bing cherries
The fish was salted with large mexican sea salt crystals, broiled, then crisped in flames, on a skewer.
• Kale Kraut– fermented marriage of cabbage and dino kale.
• German Jewelbox– Selection of pickled curiosities (peppercorns and red grapes, carrots, snow peas), wholegrain mustard, herb and flower salad.